Warranties and Repairs
Most new ASIC miners come with a 12-month warranty from the manufacturer. The manufacturer warranty period starts from the date the ASIC leaves the factory. As a result, there will be times when a new purchased miner will have less than 12 months left on the warranty.
For further clarification, Compass Mining does not control the time on these warranties, and it is not based on the purchase date.
ASIC fans are covered under the manufacturer warranty for a short period, however, due to the time it takes for the RMA process with the manufacturer, often customers will choose to purchase a replacement fan that our onsite team can replace on the ASIC. Fan replacements are quick and easy for most sites as long as they are in stock. We can still send the machine in for RMA (warranty repair) if you prefer. Fan repairs are free for all Compass Mining hosting customers.
Manufacturer RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization)
RMA is a process for any ASIC that is under warranty by the manufacturer. Our team will troubleshoot the issue with an onsite technician and look for alternative solutions to get the miner back online before we send the miner in for a RMA repair. In an effort to keep your miners in the racks longer we have developed a unique process for RMA's that is explained below.
- Confirm the warranty using the manufacturer's database.
- If the miner is found to have a bad part such as a PSU or control board we can replace these parts with our stock of spare parts at a cost to the customer. We'll swap that part after the replacement is approved and take the bad part into our stock for RMA so you don't have to worry about it.
- Once we have confirmed that there is a an issue that cannot be repaired on site such as a bad hashboard or dead chips we will begin the RMA process for the entire machine.
- We'll submit the issue with the manufacturer and the RMA number is usually provided within one week.
- After we have the RMA number we'll have the onsite technician pack the machine up and send it to one of the Authorized Service Providers for the manufacturer in questions. We have a good relationship with these repair centers which allows us the utmost transparency.
- Bitmain and MicroBT will cover the cost of return shipping for miners that are still under warranty.
- Once the process is complete you'll receive an invoice for the shipping cost and a downtime credit will be applied to your account for the period of non-mining time. Downtime credits are applied on a monthly basis.
For more information on shipping costs check out Parts and Services (Fees).
For miners that are not covered under warranty, the customer can decide how to proceed. The process is similar to the RMA procedure, however, we will need customer approval for the estimated cost of the repairs as well as shipping. Shipping cost will be invoiced for both ways for miners that are out-of-warranty. (i.e. $200 per miner for USA domestic to and from the repair facility.)
- A diagnostic will be performed to determine if the issue requires repair or replacement parts.
- The Compass Team will contact the customer for approval to proceed with the repairs and for the customer to pay the cost for the parts and shipping costs.
- Repairs can take up to 7 days for an onsite part replacement if the parts are onsite, or up to 12 weeks for a hashboard repair (timeline subject to the third-party repair center).
- After the process is complete you will receive an invoice and downtime credits will be applied to your dashboard. Downtime credits are applied on a monthly basis.
For more information on Repair Costs check out Parts and Services (Fees).
Disclaimer: Some boards are not repairable. If the board is irreparable, Compass Mining will not charge customers for the cost of the repair but shipping cost will be deducted from the downtime credit.
Read more here: Warranty is void when hash board damaged beyond repair.